[DGD] Methodology: Directory structure & Areas

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Oct 17 18:58:20 CEST 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com wrote:
> 1) An external directory. Make a directory such as /domains and put each domain
> tree under that. Perhaps even have a different root directory for each domain,
> though that may get cluttered.

This is wisest if the number of domains will be limited. If it
won't, then /domains/h/hell may be the best solution.

> 2) In the domain admin's directory. Thus if "bob" is in charge of the "hell"
> domain we'd have /usr/bob/hell as the root for that domain's stuff.

This is a poor idea, because when Bob resigns, or leaves to start
his own mud, or is caught handing out cash and power swords to the
newbie users, or comes out on the short end of an administration
power struggle, or is gone for whatever reason, the system collapses.
It also encourages Bob to think the domain is "his" and that will
lead to more administration power struggles in which Bob might be
forced out. Avoid this solution strenuously.

It's also worth noting that code ownership can be determined by
directory structure. A not-uncommon method of determining code
ownership is that Bob owns any files in /usr/bob and the mud
admin owns any code anywhere else. If so, then any code the
mud needs to keep if Bob leaves (like an entire domain ;) needs
to be outside /usr/bob. Otherwise, if you use the ownership
method suggested above, Bob can take his domain with him when
he leaves. This is unwise.

Of course, you can use other methods of arranging code ownership,
but you must do something to deliniate it, and the method of "your
directory is yours, everything else is the mud's" is pretty simple
and intuitive.

> 3) In it's own user directory. Thus you would have /usr/hell to hold the domain
> files for hell, and bob would have write access on it given the previous
> example. In this case, though, hell still wouldn't be an interactive user like
> System.

This is problematic if someone creates a character with the same
name as a domain, and makes wizard. Probably better is to use
/usr/hell for the wizard "hell" and /usr/Hell for the domain "hell".
That might be confusing but at least it's safe.

However, treating domains as if they were users is probably asking
for trouble in numerous ways. If you want to go down this road
you are almost surely better off using /domains/hell rather than
/usr/hell or /usr/Hell.

That said, I have a strong memory that the kernel lib makes
certain assumptions about objects in /usr (my memory does not
provide details, alas) and if you are working over the kernel
lib, then you have to satisfy its assumptions. At least, I
remember being told that when I asked more or less the same
question in 1998. Things may have changed since then. Experten,
can you fill in some details here?

Steve