[DGD] Methodology: Directory structure & Areas

nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com
Fri Oct 17 18:44:44 CEST 2003

>From what I've been able to gather thus far the /kernel directory is not to be
modified unless you really know what you're about to do since it can very well
take the entire MUD with it and possibly damage your security. This makes sense.

The /usr directory holds most of your code. The System directory holds trusted
code and should only be modified by those who know what they're doing and can
keep the code tight and secure. This also makes sense.

For some things, though, you want directories outside of the initial structure.
For instance I have a /log directory for all of my log files, and a /save
directory to keep player data (in a set of directories...one directory per
player, and each file therein for each character they have).

What I'm debating with myself right now is where to put my domain directories.
Older MUDs that I've seen just lets each builder keep their objects under their
own directory trees. This is all well and good, but it encourages tinkering and
can lead to errors. This is especially bad in terms of guild objects or
commonly used items and areas. This is especially bad if your characters'
equipment is persistent at all. That sword they carry may change from day to
day.

Because of this you can come up with a domain structure. Thus each major area
is run by a domain admin, and he/she moderates what code becomes real in the
domain. When a builder wants to change stuff they do it and test in in their
own directories, and then the changed objects are implimented by the domain
admin (or maybe the head admin depending on how you setup your overall
hierarchy).

My main question is where is the best place to put these? I can think of three
general methods:

1) An external directory. Make a directory such as /domains and put each domain
tree under that. Perhaps even have a different root directory for each domain,
though that may get cluttered.

2) In the domain admin's directory. Thus if "bob" is in charge of the "hell"
domain we'd have /usr/bob/hell as the root for that domain's stuff.

3) In it's own user directory. Thus you would have /usr/hell to hold the domain
files for hell, and bob would have write access on it given the previous
example. In this case, though, hell still wouldn't be an interactive user like
System.

Which system do you guys think works best for this? My biggest question on #1
is whether or not the kernel mudlib has any problems executing code that
doesn't reside in /kernel or /usr, and if so is there an easy way to work
around that?

BTW...this list rocks!

Well...back to making sure I have DGD's inheritence system down before I code
much more. :)

Patrick