[DGD] Methodology: Directory structure & Areas

nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com
Fri Oct 17 21:10:58 CEST 2003

Quoting Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com>:

>   To some extent that's true.  I get around it by
> having access-controlled functions in /usr/System that
> do stuff that requires more privilege.  Since code
> outside of /usr/ has no user directly associated with
> it, you need to either have it use only things with no
> permission controls, or have functions somewhere under
> /usr/ that recognize that code specifically.
>
>   Since I do almost all of my access control through
> /usr/System anyway and I don't write files from most
> commands & objects, this isn't a big burden for me.

Well...to my understanding it's good to have anything that requires any sort of
trusted functionality reside in /usr/System anyway. The one thing this does
bring up, though, is that guild objects can either modify a character's save
file or have their own save file for the character (a thing I'm a fan of...more
damage localization in case of error). The easy way to do this is in user.c
under /usr/System or something along those lines.

Given that I take it any such object that does file manipulation (epsecially
data files) should reside in /usr/System or at least have to call a /usr/System
object in order to perform the actual writes?