[DGD] Methodology: Directory structure & Areas

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 23:04:05 CEST 2003

--- Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu> wrote:
> The former seems to me to impose a large and
> unreasonable burden
> on file organization. There are many different types
> of files which,
> for one reason or another, need to write a file
> occasionally, and
> it seems forced to require that they all be in
> /usr/System, when
> they might well be logically grouped elsewhere.

  True.  Your file-access daemon is almost exactly the
approach I mean.  I don't temporarily grant access to
anything.  Rather, I have the ability to call a
function like save_user_file(), which will check who
calls it (with previous_program() usually) and either
do the appropriate thing or cause an error.  That
imposes an ugly burden on /usr/System since it needs
to know who will call what function, so I have an
additional layer called /usr/common which translates
fairly game-specific requests into more system-level
requests.  So:  /kernel defines the core OS-type
operations, /usr/System defines my limits on saving
and loading files, /usr/common defines the overall
rules of the game, and anything outside of that is
game-specific and has no actual privileges.  You could
add another level easily enough:  /usr/common could
define the kind of game and /usr/Innsmouth or
/usr/EyeOfTheDragon or /usr/BoboMUD or whatever could
define things specific to the game itself.

  The main problem with this organization, regardless
of how many or how few levels you use, is that you
have to know what function names will call you.  Which
means that each layer needs to know something specific
to the layer above it.  That doesn't make me happy,
but I don't currently have any more general
access-control method that I like.  I could make every
resource type be a user in the Kernel Library /usr
heirarchy, but that gets pretty ugly pretty quickly.

> Or, from what Noah wrote:
>
> Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I get around it by
> > > having access-controlled functions in
> /usr/System that
> > > do stuff that requires more privilege.  Since
> code
> > > outside of /usr/ has no user directly associated
> with
> > > it, you need to either have it use only things
> with no
> > > permission controls, or have functions somewhere
> under
> > > /usr/ that recognize that code specifically.
>
> I gather one can write an access manager that would
> temporarily
> grant permission to /cmds/wizard/delete.c to do the
> file access?

  In concept.  In actuality, you'd have a line in
FILEDAEMON:delete_file(), right at the beginning, that
checked previous_program() and determined whether to
allow the deletion.  It might recognize specific
files, or specific path prefixes.  This is essentially
the same way that the Kernel Library does it, but
without the abstraction of users and home directories,
and without some of the automation.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com