[DGD] dgd crashes on fatal errors

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Oct 24 16:32:11 CEST 2003

soja at softhome.net wrote:
> > I have discovered that dgd crashes (dumps core) after reporting a fatal
> > error. For example if you remove the binary_connect() function from a driver
> > object, dgd crashes....

So Don't Do That.  :)

There's no reason to omit this function from the driver. If you don't
want a binary connection object, then

object binary_connect() {
    return 0;
}

ought to work just fine for you. As Dworkin pointed out in his
post, there are good reasons for the driver to abort in this
case and no reason not to insist that certain critical functions
be defined, if only minimally, in the driver object.

Question: Is it possible to turn off listening on a binary
port, either by not specifying a binary port at all in the
config file, or perhaps by specifying -1? I can see where
someone might want to not even be listening for a connection,
rather than listening but refusing to provide an object if
a connection request comes in.

Steve