[DGD] Re: dgd crashes on fatal errors

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Fri Oct 24 16:38:07 CEST 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:32:11AM -0400, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> soja at softhome.net wrote:
> > > I have discovered that dgd crashes (dumps core) after reporting a fatal
> > > error. For example if you remove the binary_connect() function from a driver
> > > object, dgd crashes....
>
> So Don't Do That.  :)
>
> There's no reason to omit this function from the driver. If you don't
> want a binary connection object, then
>
> object binary_connect() {
>     return 0;
> }

This is the same as what the original poster tried with the 'return
nil;', except you're running with a different strict-typing mode.
It'll cause an intentional coredump as s/he showed.

[...]
> Question: Is it possible to turn off listening on a binary
> port, either by not specifying a binary port at all in the
> config file, or perhaps by specifying -1? I can see where
> someone might want to not even be listening for a connection,
> rather than listening but refusing to provide an object if
> a connection request comes in.

You can currently provide an array of port-numbers.  It's on the todo
list to make it possible to put an empty array there and have no
binary (or telnet) ports open at all.

For now, create a dummy object that self-destructs as soon as it has
been created, so you can clone one of those and return it in
binary_connect() instead of nil or 0.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--