[DGD] Re: sprintf

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Thu Apr 1 23:27:47 CEST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 04:14:16PM -0500, Michael McKiel wrote:
[...]
> I think (though I may be in the minority) that one of DGD's few downfalls is
> the lack of understanding in how to go about doing a driver extension. In
> other LPC sources it wouldn't seem to be as much of an undertaking. It would
> seem that if there was a greater comprehension there, you'd find more binary
> option/"addons" than just lpc-code thats frequently LIB dependant.

While the downside of linking in a sprintf() from an outside source is
that you may get different behaviour depending on what platform you're
compiling your driver on with as effect that the mudlib may work on
your main server but may misbehave on a test-copy elsewhere.

Additionally you get all the potential buffer overflows and such for
free while ignoring DGD's sturdy built-in string type.

I'll agree that aside from some samples I haven't seen many people use
DGD's extension interface.  You are aware of its existence, I assume?

>     Beyond that, just that a few of its great features, like LWO's and
> parse_string dont get utilized in the KernelLib so one has to start from
> scratch at getting an understanding of those.

True.  On the other hand you're welcome to ask questions and over time
I've seen several examples float by, including a (now slightly
outdated) grammar for LPC itself, from Dworkin. :)

Cheers,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>