[DGD] Clones and very large arrays

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 18:26:23 CEST 2004

>From: Michael McKiel <crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca>
>You *make* a linked list. it has nothing to do with clones being linked. A
>linked list can be made on Any data content.
>
>linked_list()
>{
>     object *obj;
>     object *prev;
>     object *next;
>}
>
>And you obviously need to code the functions to handle linked_lists, like
>clear_list, pop_list, add_to_list, del_from_list, etc.
>
>Not exactly sure, but I imagine a LWO would be the way to go about
>something
>like that.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand the linked list concept. I thought a
linked list was basically a chain of objects, each object having a prev and
next variable.

As I think about a linked list and the implied inefficiency (assuming I
understand it right) I am also wondering what the purpose of storing a list
of clones would be. Initially it was 'just because', I imagined I'd need the
information stored, but really I've never been sure about what situation
knowing what an objects' clones are would be useful.

>Though I always considered when I got to tracking objects et al I'd use an
>object manager objectd. and store in a mapping of arrays along what I
>believe
>Par Winzell mentioned as the way to avoid max_array issues:
>    ([ (clone_num % 1024) : ({ array_of_clones }) ])
>Though that might not be exact, something along those lines.

I didn't understand that, the example you gave is rather ambigious and seems
to be suggesting that I store an array of clones referenced by a clone!
Surely I want it referenced by a master?