[DGD] Clones and very large arrays

Michael McKiel crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 3 19:02:57 CEST 2004

 --- Robert Forshaw <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: Michael McKiel <crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca>
> >You *make* a linked list. it has nothing to do with clones being linked. A
> >linked list can be made on Any data content.
> >
> >linked_list()
> >{
> >     object *obj;
> >     object *prev;
> >     object *next;
> >}
> >
> >And you obviously need to code the functions to handle linked_lists, like
> >clear_list, pop_list, add_to_list, del_from_list, etc.
> >
> >Not exactly sure, but I imagine a LWO would be the way to go about
> >something
> >like that.
>
> I'm sorry but I still don't understand the linked list concept. I thought a
> linked list was basically a chain of objects, each object having a prev and
> next variable.

I find it hard to believe that you can really be that thick-headed. You
thought a linked list was a chain with a prev and next? what the hell is my
example then? Well gee its a prev & a next and the object itself.

> As I think about a linked list and the implied inefficiency (assuming I
> understand it right) I am also wondering what the purpose of storing a list
> of clones would be. Initially it was 'just because', I imagined I'd need
> the information stored, but really I've never been sure about what
situation
> knowing what an objects' clones are would be useful.

The only *implied* inefficiency in a linked list is if you want to retrieve
every piece of data in the list, the whole list has to be traversed.
Whereas in that one instance an array can just return itself.

> >Though I always considered when I got to tracking objects et al I'd use an
> >object manager objectd. and store in a mapping of arrays along what I
> >believe
> >Par Winzell mentioned as the way to avoid max_array issues:
> >    ([ (clone_num % 1024) : ({ array_of_clones }) ])
> >Though that might not be exact, something along those lines.
>
> I didn't understand that, the example you gave is rather ambigious and
> seems to be suggesting that I store an array of clones referenced by a
> clone! Surely I want it referenced by a master?

It's not ambiguous at all. if you have someObject#24
the clone_num is 24

But obviously, dont take peoples suggestions, go hack the driver source. I'm
sure that will be wonderfully successful.