[DGD] modifying DGD

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Sat Apr 3 19:27:38 CEST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Michael McKiel wrote:

>  --- Ragnar Lonn <prl at gatorhole.se> wrote: > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there any documentation whatsoever, except for the source code, that
> > describes DGD's guts for people who might want to modify it?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >   /Ragnar
>
> I did a modification which changes the directory structure KernelLIB will run
> under, called reload.#.tar.gz
> though the changes aren't documented as such, you could grep for the defines
> in /include/krn.h which amount to almost all the changes.
> It's available on dgd.illiji.net/downloads/mudlibs
> and www.orpgs.com
> Though if you mean the driver itself, I believe thats fairly undocumented as
> such, and for most intents and purposes probably not recommended to modify to
> any extent. I know its not even recommended to modify the Kernel heh.

Hmm, I think the question was about modifying the driver..
At any rate, the story seems to be like this..
If you did not read and understand the kernel / driver sources enough to
know what you are doing when modifying them, then it is advisable to not
even try.. Both provide documented ways to be extended, and if possible,
those should be used..

Having said that, I have made my own modifications to the driver (related
to the [] operator, which works in a way that I disagree with... :)

The DGD driver sources are quite readable and I had little trouble finding
the things I needed. That said, it is also amazingly easy to introduce
very subtle bugs when not understanding fully what you are doing in there.

Bart