[DGD] Re: Clones and very large arrays

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:57:33 CEST 2004

>From: Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net>
>>what does status()[ST_OTABSZ] return?
>
>From DGD's configuration file, the maximum number of objects there can be
>in the game.
>
>>Why is the function 'forward' void, yet it tries to return the variable
>>next?
>
>Because I typed it from memory; just return.
>
>>How is this function supposed to work?
>
>?

Well like I said, I'm having difficulty making sense of it. The only loop in
the entire code will break as soon as it finds the first object (the while()
statement in forward()). And there isn't any recursion. So I'm not sure how
it is returning the entire list of clones.

>>Instead of storing a mapping of the clones up to a relatively small number
>>and THEN using this iterator, why not use this iterator from the
>>beginning?
>
>Because it's inefficient to loop 250,000 times (or whatever OTABSZ is) to
>enumerate three objects.

That does seem inefficient, I'm wondering if it would be better to have it
loop by however many clones a master object happens to have (by storing that
information in an integer in the object daemon). But I'm not sure, the
instance number of a clone might exceed the number of clones for that
object, might it not?