[DGD] yet another object manager question.. or two

Michael McKiel crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 9 23:56:10 CEST 2004

 --- Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Michael McKiel wrote:
> > I believe hardcoded defaults, like hardcoding kernel dependencies et al
> was
> > mentioned in the archives, is there any reasonable reason not to do this?
> > these are things that should likely never change.
>
> If you're planning to distribute your code to others, then it's
> very hard to know what some idiot who downloads your lib might
> change :)
>
> Hardcoding things makes them brittle. Brittle is not necessarily
> bad, as long as you can be certain changes will never be made
> that break the brittleness. As long as you are the only user
> of your code, you can be reasonably sure about that. Or at worst,
> you can hope that you'll remember to change the hard coding,
> perhaps only after the first crash.
>
> However, if you are going to let someone else use your code,
> either because you're distributing it, or because someday your
> interests are going to change and someone else is going to take
> over as head wizard at the mud - then making things robust can
> make life easier for the person who comes after you. Or, it can
> make life easier on you if, like me, you tend to forget what
> you hardcoded in the past. That's the main reason to not hardcode
> things. It also makes it easier for you to go back and do changes
> at fundamental levels without having to rewrite all your hardcodes.
>
> Steve

I think it would be fairly easy to 'hardcode' the defaults safely, if such
was needed, but there are no dependancies, the files compiled pre-objectd
are:
FILE     Dependancy/Inherits
auto     none
driver   none
objregd  none
rsrcd    none
initd    none
objectd  none

Though if there were dependancies you could define an #include thisfiles.h
thisfiles.h would have the inherit(s) and you could hardcode/assign the
dependancies based on the lines of the .h's contents.

So I guess they can be recompiled, which adds next to nothing to overhead,
but seems a bit redundant, considering you have to hardcode the lines of code
to recompile them, I don't see too much difference in hardcoding any possible
dependancies.

And hopefully people will find some use out of the reloadLIB but again, I
wouldn't expect the downloadees to go hacking code they haven't bothered to
try to understand either.