[DGD] objectD differences...

Mercy mercy at desolation.org
Fri Apr 16 06:46:51 CEST 2004

Noah Gibbs wrote:

>--- Mercy <mercy at desolation.org> wrote:
>

>>I figure my options are more or less to use Noah Gibbs' or Geir
>>Hansen's objectDs.
>>

>  Yeah, basically.  Somebody else did one at one point (John McKenna,
>perhaps?), but it was never seriously tested.

Pete-someone, I believe, and I just downloaded his code from your site,
along with BBLib and some other stuff I'd been overlooking all the while.

>>Noah's would require a bit of effort to get working outside
>>of Phantasmal, from what I can tell, but seems to be more
>>featureful.
>>

>  Yes and yes.  Though getting it working outside of Phantasmal won't
>be too bad.  You need to take its tracking classes with it, the LWO
>types for issues.  But that's not really a Phantasmal thing -- they're
>used only by the object manager, they're just not in objectd.c.  The
>only other issue that comes to mind is that it uses the Phantasmal
>LogD.  The amount of that that you'll need is pretty small, but you
>could always tear that out and replace it with your own logging stuff.

That would probably be a good learning process, I mean, obviously
changing some calls to the logger isnt going to be very taxing, but its
a start, and as you point out further down, your manager's logging would
come in handy at some point, more than likely.

>>Are there any traps I should watch out for in using someone
>>else's object manager?
>>

>  Just that nobody's object manager is fully tested.  Phantasmal's has
>a couple of pretty benign known bugs (I already mentioned them on this
>list).  I don't know of anybody having tested Geir Hansen's as
>seriously, but it presumably works about as well -- Phantasmal's hasn't
>actually had a bug in a long time that wasn't related to new
>functionality.
>
>  The other thing to consider, come to think of it, is that
>Phantasmal's ObjectD has more logging and will detect more weird
>anomalous situations for you, at least if you check your logs.  That's
>only a problem if something goes wrong, though :-)

If, or when? ;)

Thanks for the speedy reply, it occured to me that I was/am kind of
jumping the gun on the ObjectD thing... I dont really need one while I'm
constantly starting and stopping the driver and have very little code
written.. the Kernel lib would probably handle most of what I need at
this very early stage.  That said, it wouldnt hurt to have a working
object manager plugged in, for when things get more complex, I'm sure.

Really I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to structure the lib,
within the restrictions of the Kernel Lib, and I'll probably end up
starting over once I get a proper feel for how everything works.  It's
all too abstract until I start throwing code together.  :)

Mercy