[DGD] DGD spammed...

muphicks muphicks at mups.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 12:10:26 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl>

> I'd say that it is a bit too early to discard it, but we are obviously
> up against automated programs making these changes.  As long as people
> maintain their pages it should not be a problem, but perhaps an undo/redo
> button would be nice.
>
> Preventing it would require some sort of user registration, would it not?
> What is the word from Wiki space on these graffiti bots, is Wiki in as
> much danger as email in the long term?

You could always require users to register with a free account, requiring
email validation (by sending an activation link by email). Also ban any
users from signing up using free email accounts such as hotmail and
yahoo.

Ok, so you'll be inconveniencing people that use those services, they'll
either have to use their isp email, or contact you and have their account
approved specially.

But at least that way you require the bots to have to know how to
authenticate and register an account. The email validation will prevent
them signing up using faked email addresses each time.

Once they do sign up, someone can fix the page and have their account
banned. It wouldn't stop someone dedicated to spamming you, but
there are much easier targets, so it would probably stop the vast
majority.

Gary