[DGD] Object house-keeping and persistance

birgit.schulte at philips.com birgit.schulte at philips.com
Thu Aug 19 15:54:11 CEST 2004

I am wondering about ways to make sure the number of unused / discarded
objects in
a persistant mud doesn't go through the roof.

I am working with a modified version of the kernel-lib, without the
resource-daemon,
but with a nicely working object-daemon. My understanding about the
resource-daemon
would be that it just makes sure to enforce some limits for example on the
number of objects
a coder / user may have around. This might be an incentive to clean up
yourself, but nothing
more than that.

So far I have my object-daemon take care of lib-objects which get compiled
but not inherited,
those are cleaned out (read: destructed) now and then.

Next step will be to clean up behind coders which logged and left objects
from their working-dirs
around, this is not a problem either. It will probably be possible to
declare objects from a working-dir
as to stay, in case a coder wants to track something while being offline.

But how to make sure objects from the mud-world get cleaned away when not
really in use?
This is probably very much a design-decision, since first the
"not-in-use"-bit needs to be defined.

I'd love to hear how others tackle this problem :-)

Regards,
Birgit