[DGD] Quote of the year

Derek Baron dbaron_ks at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 22:10:01 CEST 2004

>As for the larger conversation topic, I think the basic problem is that the
>overwhelming amount of work being done in the LPMud area is endless
>redundant reimplementations of trivial low level libraries that should have
>been standardized a decade ago. There is virtually no coordination in the
>LPMud world; it seems like every single good programmer whose LPC interest
>is peaking finds a new ancient mudlib to bring from the 1991 era to the
>1993 era, and it just STOPS there. I don't understand it.

That's my candidate for best paragraph of the year in the list. Maybe
because it hits so close to home; I know I'm guilty of reimplementation. Of
course I don't think I ever would have *really* understood things like stack
security, natural language parsing or the intermud3 protocol if I hadn't
rebuilt them from scratch. Nevertheless, I didn't make other advancements
that could have moved things forward - a shame I guess but it is what it is.