[DGD] GurbaLib

David Jackson atari_x at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 28 06:27:01 CEST 2004

At 03:24 PM 8/27/2004, you wrote:
><snip>
>
>If you want a H7 lib, then IMO it's best to stick with the LDMud driver.
>If you want a lib like H7 on DGD, going down this road might be a useful
>learning experience, but you'll probably be writing a completely new lib
>by the time you complete it anyway ;)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Neil
>aka Sarak

I'm glad you chimed in.  I started trying to convert the H7 lib over, not
realizing how involved the port would be.

I've since returned to GurbaLib.  If I'm going to have to do most of the
work on the lib, I might as well work with something that already works
with DGD.  Which leads me to my next announcement...

I have recently been in discussions with Erlend Simonsen, the original
developer for GurbaLib, and after some lengthy talks, we have worked out an
arrangement where I am to take over the maintenance and continued
development of the GurbaLib mudlib.

No, I do not claim to be a GurbaLib expert, so I can't really field
technical questions just yet, but I am in the process of writing up
documentation on it, in the hopes of bringing to focus the tremendous
amount of work that Erlend has done on this lib so far.  If you aren't
aware, GurbaLib supports the following (existing) features;

A "verb" system
Rooms, Items, Monsters, Doors
Channels
InterMud3
an FTP Daemon
Message Boards
Events
Combat
Guilds
Races

My first goals are to;

Update the command parsing, to be more in line with Lima, or Abermud.
Overhaul the room code to include weather effects, and integrate the door
code more closely
Expand the Item code
Streamline the combat code a bit
Add several "stock" guilds
Add several "stock" races

Additionally, the monster code will receive a complete renovation, to
incorporate some ideas regarding artificial life that I have (this is in
response to Stephen Schmidt's ideas regarding new innovation in mudlibs).

And, I intend to add an HTTP daemon, which I had started quite some time ago.

Any input will be appreciated.

David Jackson