[DGD] Current state of MUD-dom

Alistair Milne krug at krug.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 09:14:23 CEST 2004

On Monday, August 23, 2004, 10:04:01 PM, Jas wrote:
J> I've come to realize that a text-based game really needs three layers of
J> game management / support staff:  (1) administrative types to manage the
J> game, keep the other staff on task, and deal with the day-to-day issues;
J> (2) programmer types to code the game; and (3) artisitic/creative types
J> ("artsy fartsies") to provide grammatically-correct and coherent content.

What you've described is basically the industry model for making
single-player games: producers, programmers, and artists/game
designers.  For MUDs you need a fourth category, for the community-
management people who will act as a buffer between you and the
players.  The people who will act as GMs, for want of a better
phrase.

.al

---
When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty, I think
only how to solve the problem.  But when I have finished, if the
solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.
    R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983)