[DGD] Current state of MUD-dom

Jas katmandu at turbobyte.com
Tue Aug 24 20:20:58 CEST 2004

Alistair Milne wrote:

>On Monday, August 23, 2004, 10:04:01 PM, Jas wrote:
>J> I've come to realize that a text-based game really needs three layers of
>J> game management / support staff:  (1) administrative types to manage the
>J> game, keep the other staff on task, and deal with the day-to-day issues;
>J> (2) programmer types to code the game; and (3) artisitic/creative types
>J> ("artsy fartsies") to provide grammatically-correct and coherent content.
>
>What you've described is basically the industry model for making
>single-player games: producers, programmers, and artists/game
>designers.  For MUDs you need a fourth category, for the community-
>management people who will act as a buffer between you and the
>players.  The people who will act as GMs, for want of a better
>phrase.

I'm kind of toying with the idea of letting players become in-game
"guides," much the same as the semi-successful guide program on Everquest.

At that point, one of the "other duties as assigned" to the
administrative types might be managing/overseeing the guide program.

>.al

Cheers,
Jason D. Bourgoin
aka Katmandu