[DGD] GurbaLib

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 20:39:47 CEST 2004

--- Jas <katmandu at turbobyte.com> wrote:
> If putting together something like that isn't on Dworkin's "to do"
> list,
> maybe "the rest of us" should take up the initiative.
> [...]
> So, the $64,000 question is two-fold:  is there enough of an interest
> in
> such a project, and are there other people who would be willing to
> commit either their time, technical expertise, or something else to
> the project?

  Historically speaking, the answer is "no" and "no".  Many offers will
be made.  Encouraging emails will occur.  Little work will happen and
less progress will be made.  So far, DGD code is advanced by
individuals and by small groups.  List-based 'net collaborations simply
do not work.

  You need a strong central project lead, who will find he also needs
to do the vast majority of the work.

  You can best serve DGD by appointing yourself to such a role, and
releasing your code from the very beginning.  Yes, even when it's
basically unusable.  Starting from an existing lib would be fine,
whatever floats your boat.  Just make sure you understand any
appropriate license issues.

  If that's more work than you wish to commit to, help out somebody on
an existing project of that type.

  Under other circumstances I'd nominate me, but Phantasmal's been
pretty stagnant for awhile.  It sounds like shortly, Par Winzell will
be the guy to help.

=====