[DGD] GurbaLib

Neil McBride sarak at castinian.org
Fri Aug 27 22:24:08 CEST 2004

> David Jackson wrote:
>
>>> Might I suggest giving the Heaven 7 mudlib a look?
>>
>> Perhaps you could point me at a place I can find those messages.  I
>> couldn't find a search function on the Heaven 7 website.
>
> For the life of me, I can't find those articles now.  Grumble,
> grumble.... paying for the sins of my youth and the resultant
> destruction of brain cells.

You'll most likely find the discussion within the DGD archives as this is
where the question usually comes up.  From what I've read/seen so far, I'm
one of the very few who has actually gone through the painful process.  I
may have been the only so far too as I generally tell people it's a bad
idea when they ask about it.

The process did involve using the 2.4.5 lib and then putting the H7 lib
over the top of it.  It was slow and ultimately unrewarding as I
eventually found myself rewriting the lib entirely anyway as the
underlying design of the H7 lib essentially worked against all the
features that DGD provides that other drivers do not.

If you want a H7 lib, then IMO it's best to stick with the LDMud driver.
If you want a lib like H7 on DGD, going down this road might be a useful
learning experience, but you'll probably be writing a completely new lib
by the time you complete it anyway ;)

Cheers,

Neil
aka Sarak