[DGD] my dgd is VERY crashable

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 1 16:38:11 CET 2004

I'm using DGD 1.2p3 for windows with // patch (although I tested it without
the patch and the problem persisted).

First of all, if there is a compile error when attempting to start the MUD,
any subsequent attempt to restart the MUD, even if the compile error has
been rectified, will result in a crash and a Windows XP 'There has been a
problem' window.

Also if there is a runtime error, the mud will crash the next time something
happens (I haven't really explored what 'something happens' means exactly,
this since I don't make a lot of runtime errors, but it usually crashes when
I enter any further input to the mud).

The main prob right now though is that when calling a prototyped function,
the driver will quit without fail (no actual crash as far as windows is
concerned, the DGD window just vanishes and the driver shuts down).

I've uploaded driver.c and user.c to my site. I have tried running Kernel
and it doesn't seem to have any of these problems, so it is probably
something wrong with my code (although I think DGD should be more resilient
to errornous mudlib code, shutting down entirely doesn't seem very
healthy...).

In user.c, the second problem I described (where it shuts down) occurs when
the species_selection_menu() function (line 118) is called from
process_character_creation_input() (line 104). The MUD exits. However, the
MUD doesn't exit if I comment out line 127 (where character_creation() is
called). However the MUD just hangs around in limbo then which is not what I
want. I have also tried repositioning these functions so that
character_creation() is the prototyped function (rather than
species_selection()) and species_selection() definition is positioned before
the character_creation() definition. The same thing happens, and is
preventable by removing/commenting the character_creation() line in the
species_selection() function.

It also appears that the error doesn't occur during runtime, since I insert
messages between the code and I don't see those messages even though they
are displayed before the call to character_creation() occurs (which is what
appears to be causing the exiting since commenting it out stops that from
happening).

The files are at http://www.rbf.org.uk/user.c and
http://www.rbf.org.uk/driver.c