[DGD] DGD mailing list stats

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Fri Feb 13 21:31:41 CET 2004

On Friday, February 13, 2004 5:56 AM,
Colin Ross <c.ross at cantab.net> wrote:
> I have been working on trying to make the mailing list a little more
> friendly to deal with recently both for my own benefit and also for
> others.  During the course of this task, some interesting statistics
> have been uncovered. Well, slightly interesting at least.
>
> The page at http://www.thelastbastion.org/dgd/view.php contains the
> current version.  There are many buttons to press and many things to
> view, including the most recent posts.
>
> Highlights so far:
> Noah appearing twice on the Top 10 posters list
> The strange popularity of Tuesday
> The lack of activity in July
>
> I hope, in time, to have the ability to show posts by thread which is
> what I am really aiming for, and to include search options.  But for
> now, what you see is what you get.
>
> Criticisms and comments are all welcome.  And yes, I know there are
> probably far too many buttons... in time they will disappear, it was
> just the quickest way to get something up and running as a proof of
> concept.  There is also a bit of work to do in sorting out
> attributions
> of posts, many of which are currently "Unknown", explaining the high
> placement on the Top Posters Lists.

Interesting, but not as useful as I hoped.

What you might be able to do to make it more useful is a smart list of topics.
This would take what were the most active topics by looking about both Subject
commonality (either be smart with Re:'s or do some bayseian on the subject
names) as well as threading information in-reply-to from mail headers.

-- Christopher Allen