[DGD] Kernel Lib, creator & owner

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Fri Feb 27 20:00:03 CET 2004

>>So...are there any instances where the variables owner & creator in the
>>auto.c will actually be different? or the driver's creator() return a
>>differing string? ... and if not why have 2 variables that don't differ?
>>
>>I'm sure I'm missing something, so could anyone enlighten me? :)
>>

> Well I tested some more, logged in as admin.
> copied, blah.c to /usr/zamadhi/obj/blah.c
> compiled it, cloned it.
> The master object winds up with zamadhi as creator & owner.
> And the clone winds up with "admin" as owner, and zamadhi as query_creator()

You can easily scan through auto.c for all instances of owner and
creator being assigned anything. It all happens in _F_create and the
logic is quite straight-forward:

   * The creator is purely a function of the object's name...
     * An object /usr/Foo/* has creator Foo
     * An object /kernel/* has creator System
       * (i.e. /kernel and /usr/System have some equivalences)
     * Anything else has creator nil

   * The owner is identical to the creator for master objects (anything
that is neither clone nor pure program). For clones it is set to the
owner of the cloning object, unless the second argument to
clone_object() and new_object() is used by the mudlib layer to force a
certain owner for an object. This is how a wiztool that lives in /kernel
can give a newly cloned object e.g. the owner 'zell'.

The clone_object() and new_object() functions pass on this 'uid to be'
through a TLS value (thread local storage).

Zell