[DGD] A simple lib

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 19:50:24 CET 2004

--- Robert Forshaw <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I made a decision that if I ever came to the
> point where I couldn't think of
> a suitable way to implent a feature, I would
> turn to the kernel for a bit of
> guidance.

  Fair enough.  I certainly do that often.  Certain
features, though, require a *lot* of rework if you
don't plan for them in advance.  That's one reason I
mentioned inheritance and full rebuilds -- most
existing libraries don't have the ability to fully
rebuild on the fly, and can basically *never* have it,
because they didn't plan for it in advance, and it
would require massive rework for them to add.

  Phantasmal had it on the feature list from day one.
More importantly, Phantasmal runs on top of the Kernel
Library, and the Kernel enforces a library/clonable
separation which guarantees you can get rebuilds to
work.

> It would be much easier to understand
> though if the code itself
> was commented so I wouldn't have to keep
> switching between files to figure
> out what's going on.

  Yup.  It takes some reading.  The URL I mentioned
earlier about getting started with it includes some
good information about what it does (yes, including
the inheritance stuff).  You can also check out
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/Kernel/Auto_API.html"
for a little extra summary of what various functions
in the Auto and Driver objects do.

  But you're right, things like the various resource
structures are hard to follow.  Some better
documentation would be a good thing, at least at the
API level.  I'm working on it, but I haven't gotten to
those chapters of the book yet
("http://phantasmal.sf.net/DGD/LPC").  When I do,
though, they'll be heavily based on the existing stuff
about how to use the Kernel Lib.

  Unfortunately, this stuff is all spare-time, so I
don't work at the pace I'd like to.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com