[DGD] Re: A simple lib

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Tue Jan 6 20:27:10 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:13:16PM +0000, Robert Forshaw wrote:
> Hmm, it would seem after taking a look at other mudlibs that the
> telnet_connect() function takes no arguments, despite the docs saying
> otherwise.

Reading the docs for 1.2.50 and using 1.2p3 will certainly confuse
you, yes. :)

There has been quite a bit of development in the 1.2.xx experimental
series while 1.2p{1,2,3} only contain _bugfixes_, no new features.

>            Now I'm having another problem. I put my 'sfuns' into
> /sys/sfuns.c and #include them into driver.c. and auto.c. However auto.c
> disagrees with me doing that, saying:
>
> Failed to compile "/sys/auto.c"Ja   6 19:10:38 * Type is string.
> Jan  6 19:10:38 ** Object is already being upgraded
>
> I have no idea what this means.

That you're doing more than one compile_object() on an _existing_
object in the same thread.  This is not possible.

This fundamental misunderstanding of compile_object() shows in your
initial implementation of clone() and a few other places.  So, to
repeat: compile_object() on an _existing_ object is quite different
from compiling an object for the first time, please put checks with
find_object() around such places unless and until you know what you're
doing.

Cheers,

Erwin.
--