[DGD] Re: status

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Wed Jan 7 19:49:00 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:32:54PM +0000, Robert Forshaw wrote:
> >From: Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>
> >I think you want to look into sscanf() to replace
> >seek_and_return_string().
>
> I was initially using sscanf, but its a rather expensive function, and
> seek_and_return_string() is simpler because I don't have to declare more
> variables...

<mode type="6 year old kid">Is not!</mode>

Why do you assume sscanf() is a 'rather expensive function' when it's
implemented in C whereas your own code runs in interpreted LPC?

This is how I'd implement your find_object() function:

	static nomask
	find_object(mixed obj, int master)
	{
       		if (master) {
	                if (typeof(obj) == T_OBJECT) {
				obj = object_name(obj);
			}
                        /*
			 * Strip possible #<number> part; if no match
			 * is found obj will still contain original
			 * value after the sscanf()!
			 */
			sscanf(obj, "%s#", obj);
			return ::find_object(obj);
	        }
	        if (typeof(obj) == T_STRING) {
			return ::find_object(obj);
		}
	        return obj;
	}

[...O_INDEX...]
> An identifier for the code? No sorry, I don't understand. I take it this
> isn't suited to my current problem then?

No, I don't think this will help you implement your find_object()
function more efficiently.

Cheers,

Erwin.
--