[DGD] Re: status

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 22:01:18 CET 2004

--- Robert Forshaw <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> An identifier for the code? No sorry, I don't
> understand. I take it this
> isn't suited to my current problem then?

  No, it isn't.  Think of it as an identifier for the
*version* of the code...  Every time you recompile an
object, it gets a new issue number.  So the 'master
object' that the docs are talking about isn't a master
in the master/clone sense.  It's a 'master' object in
the sense that it has a set of code used for a
particular master object (and, by extension, any
clones and anybody that inherits from it).

  Issue numbers are important to keep around because
if anybody inherits from a particular library, that
library can't be fully destroyed.  You can destruct
the object, which works fine, but the destructed
version still sits around in memory...  It has to.
Somebody's still using it.  When the last thing that
inherits that version of the code has been destroyed
or recompiled (to use a new and different version, not
the old one) then the old issue of the code can be put
to rest.

  That's a difference between your driver getting the
destruct notification (which just means
destruct_object() was called on it) and the
remove_program() notification (which means it's no
longer referenced and it's going to go away entirely).

  There are a couple of Object Managers around.  You
may have seen them on my site.  Phantasmal has one as
well.  While those are designed to work with the
Kernel Library, they're using notifications that are
pretty much what the driver receives, except for
anything with "lib" in the name :-)

  The big difference is that if you have objects that
are both inheritable *and* clonable, you can't handle
them the same way.  Of course, if you have those then
you've probably already blown your chance at being
able to do a full recompile in-place.  And if you
don't want in-place recompiles then you can get away
with a much simpler Object Manager.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com