[DGD] Re: status

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 22:48:18 CET 2004

--- Robert Forshaw <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com>
> >   Well, the way to solve it would be if DGD let
> you
> >directly recompile an object that had child classes
> >(which it doesn't).  Instead you have to destruct
> and
> >recompile, which destroys all your clones (if any).
>
> This is something I wasn't aware of. When you say
> 'destroy' do you mean
> 'destruct and linger in memory' or completely
> remove?

  Clones can never "destruct and linger in memory".
When their master object goes, they go.  Ditto for
LWOs.

  An object with no children (such as a cloneable in
the Kernel Library) is also removed when you destruct
it.  No reason to linger in memory since nobody uses
it any more.

> I was going to
> hand-code a feature in the destruct_object()
> masking function to seek out
> (with an object manager?) all the objects
> children
> and destruct them, so I
> didn't have stray clones lying around;

  If by "children" you mean "clones", this happens
automatically.  If by "children" you mean "classes
that inherit from it", you'll have to do it manually.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com