[DGD] Persistance

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Thu Jan 8 16:18:50 CET 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Felix A. Croes wrote:

> > >their
> > >
> > >Why not?
> >
> > Because when a statedump occurs when User A quits, their progress is saved,
> > but User B may not have been around for a while and is no longer present in
> > memory, hence when the statedump occurs User B's progress is lost forever.
>
> So why is User B's object not around?  Who ran away with it, and why?

Of course, just keeping it around is another way of dealing with
remembering the user :)

Not doing so is a normal way to deal with a player logging off in most
traditional muds, and in my specific case, is used also when switching
between different versions of the player object, but I guess on a
persistent  mud you could put those currently unused player objects in
some repository to remove them from the game world temporarely untill the
player needs it again..

Bart