[DGD] Re: another question about clones

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Thu Jan 8 16:54:03 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 09:04, Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
> The choice of mapping or array is not very relevant for this unless you
> are going to use the mapping for other things then tracking clones (one
> could think of using it for keeping track of how a clone was created for
> example). Somehow I assumed an array to be cheaper if all I want is a
> collection of clones (or alternatively a collection of collections of
> clones if it no longer fits in a single array)

If you mean that you use array addition and subtraction whenever you
create a new clone or destruct an old one, then that's not really an
option. Both cloning and destructing N objects then becomes pretty much
a O(N^2) operation. You really want to stay away from those.

Alternately, perhaps you have an array of arrays that you index by the
'clone number' of the clone? That'd solve the time complexity problem,
but use a hell of a lot of space.

Zell