[DGD] Re: another question about clones

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Thu Jan 8 17:46:18 CET 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Par Winzell wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 09:04, Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
> > The choice of mapping or array is not very relevant for this unless you
> > are going to use the mapping for other things then tracking clones (one
> > could think of using it for keeping track of how a clone was created for
> > example). Somehow I assumed an array to be cheaper if all I want is a
> > collection of clones (or alternatively a collection of collections of
> > clones if it no longer fits in a single array)
>
> If you mean that you use array addition and subtraction whenever you
> create a new clone or destruct an old one, then that's not really an
> option. Both cloning and destructing N objects then becomes pretty much
> a O(N^2) operation. You really want to stay away from those.

Not really. When an object is destroyed, its value in the array becomes 0,
subtracting 0 from an array before use is still far from O(N^2) and isn't
done at destruction time at all. As a result, the code actually has an
O(1) behavior on destructing objects (for as far as the lpc code is
concerned... cost of the different opperations on driver level is a
different matter)

The only problem is with adding clones, which you can solve in a few ways,
but will come down to finding an array with < MAX elements. You can assume
this to be the array with the highest number and if you start there and
look back before creating a new array, you will get a result that is in
most cases no more then setting an index to a value, and as such hardly
more expensive then when you'd be using a mapping. (note that you do not
have to find the holes in an array, there are none)

If you'd want, you can delay locating such arrays untill they are
completely empty, and just remove 0 size arrays only, but that may not
work out very well in some specific situations (you may end up with a lot
of arrays with 1-2 elements each for example so some sort of merging is
needed to make this one work, also it makes things more expensive
elsewhere)

In my experience, in the end the most important performance issue is
however the time it takes to create a list of all clones and the
complexity of that is way lower with an array of arrays. All other things
can be spread out between when you register/remove a clone and when you
use the data, and in the end it is nice to save a few cycles, but nicer to
spend a few more, but never need too many of them at once.

With mappings you make a few different choices obviously, and I assume
that you wouldn't go for the most expensive approach there either, the
'shortcuts' are just different.

> Alternately, perhaps you have an array of arrays that you index by the
> 'clone number' of the clone? That'd solve the time complexity problem,
> but use a hell of a lot of space.

You'd be better off implementing that with mappings, and seeing how clone
numbers can rise above the size of an array, it means first doing a bit of
math to derive the indeces

Anyway, regardless of if its more or less efficient, it has been used for
many years and seems to do its job very well.