[DGD] Persistance

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Jan 8 19:14:01 CET 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Robert Forshaw wrote:
> One problem with keeping player objects in the game for a long time is that
> you're going to have lots of people logging in, trying the game out, then
> never returning again. The MUD I used to be a wizard on had about 100 people
> a day logging in doing this. I cringe at the thought of hundreds of
> thousands of player objects sitting around in memory, serving absolutely no
> purpose.

Yep. Gotta have daily purges. The usual solution is that any
character who has not gained any experience points (or the
equivalent measure of game activity in your system if you
don't have experience points) is deleted after 24 hours.
Characters that haven't gotten to level 2 (or your equivalent)
get 3 or 4 days of inactivity, then get wiped. Only once a
character has some time invested in it does it gain the right
to stick around, and even then there's a 30-day limit or so.
You need a method for players who are going to be away for
a couple months to request that their characters be archived.
That's not hard to do, I've been on at least one mud that
did it.

Steve