[DGD] Re: Persistance

Kirk Smith ksmith at illiji.net
Thu Jan 8 21:16:39 CET 2004

<quote who="Robert Forshaw">
From: Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu>
When you eventually do reboot, how will it reconnect the rooms? Doing
it by file name makes this easy, but by object reference, well, for a start
every room object will have to be loaded, and then how is it going to figure
out what rooms connect to where, if not by file name?

> All rooms will still have the same 'state' that they had when the
> statedump was made.  Exits still lead in the same directions,
> descriptions still are what they were, etc.

>>I don't think that was the question - or if it was, then I have
>>a related question :)  How do you initialize the system to begin
>>with? At some point you have to load the room into memory for
>>the first time.

>>> He did answer the question. I'm thinking what you'd do is load the room
>>> object, then send a command to it to link it to another room object.

No, that is unneccesary. When the state is restored, the rooms are exactly as
before. Both objects are created, and the link is maintained. That's one of
the great joys of state dumps, when done right.

[question]# /(bb|[^b]{2})/