[DGD] Persistance

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 21:32:09 CET 2004

--- Robert Forshaw <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm always thinking of the worst possible
> scenario, and lets just say that
> somehow you didn't have a recent statedump
> at hand for whatever reason. This
> would mean connecting the objects by hand, wouldn't
> it?

  Huh?  If you have no recent statedump at hand, but
you have all your objects...  I'm just not sure how
this scenario would come up.

  Phantasmal does all this connection stuff.  But it
only does it when you restart the MUD from data files.
 However, a fully-persistent MUD would never *write*
datafiles, it would just write a statedump.  So exits
(with pointers) would be written when the statedump is
written, and *only* when the statedump is written.

  You talked about writing certain vital objects more
often (like player accounts).  But why would you do
that with all your rooms, but not all your exits?  If
you're going to write out all the rooms, just use a
statedump.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com