[DGD] Re: Persistance

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 21:35:11 CET 2004

--- Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu> wrote:
> Yeah, but I don't want to be initializing the 10,000
> rooms of
> my mud world with the wiztool  :)

  Yes.  Persistent MUDs don't eliminate the need for
building and builder tools.  Those are still required.
 They eliminate the need for load/save, but you still
have to create the stuff in the first place.

> I gather the principle is the same, though.
> When a player is
> walking around the mud in the first few minutes
> of uptime,
> through an exit
> the code (somehow) checks to see if the
> object for the
> connected room is loaded. If it is, fine.
> If not, it loads
> /base/obj/room and configures it in whatever
> way is appropriate.

  Well, no.  If not, it loads the already-configured
room out of your statedump or swapfile.  No LPC code
is ever called, nor should it be.  The object is
transparently reloaded in its same state, as though it
had been there all along.

> The problem comes with circular paths.

  Nope.  DGD handles all this for you, and does it
fully transparently.  This is 100% a non-problem if
you're saving with a statedump and restoring from a
statedump.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com