[DGD] Re: Persistance

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Jan 8 21:43:44 CET 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Noah Gibbs wrote:
> DGD handles all this for you, and does it
> fully transparently.  This is 100% a non-problem if
> you're saving with a statedump and restoring from a
> statedump.

But that's not my question....  My question is, how do
I get the rooms into memory, with the proper object
pointers to handle the exits, so I can create the statedump
in the first place? You can't begin the -entire- process
from a statedump - the statedump has to be created before
it can be read back in. (My question is distinct from Robert's
in this regard.)

I gather from Dworkin's post that they come into memory
as they are built, one by one. That works fine. I was
thinking instead of something like building from a script,
where the builder writes down a plan of 200 rooms and how
they connect, but they're not actually created until
someone runs the script. Then when that happens all 200
of them are loaded at once, or maybe they're loaded as
needed.

But Dworkin says not to do it that way. In the example I
gave, the builder already has some kind of reference to
room C because he built it (or he can chain back to it
through rooms B and A). So if room C is already loaded
as an object, then the builder points to it when he builds
room D and says "connect to that one." You never have to
find room C in the list of all possible rooms. At least,
the code doesn't. The builder has to have some way to
indicate which room he wants D to connect to. But that's
a problem of designing the wiztool appropriately.

Steve