[DGD] Recursion in recompile(), is this correct?

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Sat Jan 10 23:09:51 CET 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Robert Forshaw wrote:

> >From: Bart van Leeuwen <bart at wotf.org>
> >For what I have seen, no, the driver will do this for you.
>

> I'm beginning to wonder then why I was told that I need an object daemon
> keeping track of inheritance in order to have objects update properly. Is
> this actually not true? This will be good because it means things are
> simpler, but it is also bad because it would mean deleting a chunk of my
> object daemon code that I just spent a couple of hours writing. *sigh*

Well, it is true for as far as the current object is concerned, any other
objects inheriting the file you updated will not be touched at all.
I wonder about the same since from observation, DGD handles this nicely
calling recompile() in the driver for every inherited file between the
current object and whatever library was updated, but I did read the same
as you did. Is my assumption correct that this is for updating objects
that depend on an inherited file?
On another note, there are a zilion other reasons for wanting to know
which file inherits what, so either way your code is not useless I'd say.