[DGD] Recursion in recompile(), is this correct?

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Mon Jan 12 00:52:36 CET 2004

Robert Forshaw wrote:

> Whether what you said is good advice or not is an opinion. In a way, I
> can see why it might be useful to know because people (Erwin for
> instance) have a kneejerk reaction where they find any kind of conflict
> or disagreement offensive, and therefore I should automatically comply
> with what you are saying. I think the idea that you don't have to read
> or reply to my post is a perfectly reasonable argument as to why it is
> not necessary to restrain myself when posting.

It was advice simply because I have a better understanding than you do
of which manners of propriety work here and which don't. I like for the
list to work smoothly. Like everyone else here, I spend time on the list
to share in the (largely unspoken) exchange of community and respect.

Your argument is perfectly reasonable, but it's not practical. We're not
debating on the pros and cons of laissez faire. You want something from
people here -- answers. What they want in return -- insofar as I am able
to speak for anybody but myself -- is to feel that their answers are
appreciated. Rather than saying thank-you, one of the best ways to show
respect for somebody's time is to humble accept an exchange ratio higher
than 1-to-1. Before you bring a question to the list, make sure you've
tested the more obvious things yourself first. Before you write
follow-up questions, make sure you've actually bothered to read and
assimilate the answers that were already given.

If those answers were just "Read the fucking source", then you could be
forgiven for shrugging it off, but you're basically stating that you're
going to attempt to minimize your own efforts as long as anybody still
answers you. That's not really endearing. It makes you sound like a bit
of a brat, frankly, age regardless.

Don't get me wrong. None of this is really a big deal. I've answered
many of your questions and was pretty happy doing so. I think you've
learned quite a bit quite quickly. If you're getting flak on the list,
you could say it's because people here have an unusual allergy to a
specific kind of self-indulgent arrogance. You might be right. But the
end result is the same. You're running out of answerers.

That's why it's good advice.

> Maybe you will convince me to restrain my posting, if you have a valid
> argument as to why I should. The only way I will stop otherwise is if
> someone declares that it is against the rules to post the way I am
> doing. Nobody has, and I don't think I should based on my aforementioned
> argument, so its down to somebody to convince me to stop or to order me
> to stop (if they are in a position to do that).

If you think all you have to worry about in life is whether you're
inside or outside the rules, you're in for a very rude shock.

Zell