[DGD] Recursion in recompile(), is this correct?

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 00:13:13 CET 2004

>From: Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net>
>Fair enough. Good luck. Believe it or not, I was mostly trying to give you
>good advice.

I'd first like to give my belated thanks to you for your advice earlier on
in this thread, as it is what eventually clued me onto what everyone was
talking about. I am aware now that I was forgetting to thank people. I'm not
sure how that happened, but it is probably because I wasn't 100% confident
in my understanding at the time of writing and I didn't want to say 'hey
thanks I got it now' and then come back later and say 'Actually, I don't
think I understand what you meant at all...'.

Whether what you said is good advice or not is an opinion. In a way, I can
see why it might be useful to know because people (Erwin for instance) have
a kneejerk reaction where they find any kind of conflict or disagreement
offensive, and therefore I should automatically comply with what you are
saying. I think the idea that you don't have to read or reply to my post is
a perfectly reasonable argument as to why it is not necessary to restrain
myself when posting.

If someone thinks that this is not a valid argument then they have to ask
themselves who is forcing them to trouble themselves with reading and
replying to my posts. If there is another counter-argument that I have
missed, then someone should enlighten me. I do not think that the fact that
I haven't agreed with your advice (and previously, Dworkin's advice) makes
me a rude person. If I simply said 'no' then that would make me rude, but I
think I have a valid reason to disagree and have stated it. If you think I'm
wrong, tell me why (privately since most people probably object to
off-topic-ness).

Maybe you will convince me to restrain my posting, if you have a valid
argument as to why I should. The only way I will stop otherwise is if
someone declares that it is against the rules to post the way I am doing.
Nobody has, and I don't think I should based on my aforementioned argument,
so its down to somebody to convince me to stop or to order me to stop (if
they are in a position to do that).

That's fair, isn't it?