[DGD] Recursion in recompile(), is this correct?

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 01:47:37 CET 2004

>From: Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net>
>It was advice simply because I have a better understanding than you do of
>which manners of propriety work here and which don't. I like for the list
>to work smoothly. Like everyone else here, I spend time on the list to
>share in the (largely unspoken) exchange of community and respect.
>
>Your argument is perfectly reasonable, but it's not practical. We're not
>debating on the pros and cons of laissez faire. You want something from
>people here -- answers. What they want in return -- insofar as I am able to
>speak for anybody but myself -- is to feel that their answers are
>appreciated. Rather than saying thank-you, one of the best ways to show
>respect for somebody's time is to humble accept an exchange ratio higher
>than 1-to-1. Before you bring a question to the list, make sure you've
>tested the more obvious things yourself first. Before you write follow-up
>questions, make sure you've actually bothered to read and assimilate the
>answers that were already given.

I don't know what makes you think I haven't been doing that. If I have given
that impression it is probably a matter of timing (i.e. I send off a reply
after someone else has that I haven't yet read).

>If those answers were just "Read the fucking source", then you could be
>forgiven for shrugging it off, but you're basically stating that you're
>going to attempt to minimize your own efforts as long as anybody still
>answers you. That's not really endearing. It makes you sound like a bit of
>a brat, frankly, age regardless.

Well I'll try to be more endearing in future.

>Don't get me wrong. None of this is really a big deal. I've answered many
>of your questions and was pretty happy doing so. I think you've learned
>quite a bit quite quickly. If you're getting flak on the list, you could
>say it's because people here have an unusual allergy to a specific kind of
>self-indulgent arrogance.

I don't know what you mean.

>You might be right. But the end result is the same. You're running out of
>answerers.

You've lost me.

>That's why it's good advice.
>
>>Maybe you will convince me to restrain my posting, if you have a valid
>>argument as to why I should. The only way I will stop otherwise is if
>>someone declares that it is against the rules to post the way I am doing.
>>Nobody has, and I don't think I should based on my aforementioned
>>argument, so its down to somebody to convince me to stop or to order me to
>>stop (if they are in a position to do that).
>
>If you think all you have to worry about in life is whether you're inside
>or outside the rules, you're in for a very rude shock.

I don't think that, but I think it is relevent here.