[DGD] Recursion in recompile(), is this correct?

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Mon Jan 12 13:11:13 CET 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Robert Forshaw wrote:

> I don't know what makes you think I haven't been doing that. If I have given
> that impression it is probably a matter of timing (i.e. I send off a reply
> after someone else has that I haven't yet read).

Well, it seems that you are annoying some people by asking things that are
considered 'obvious' or easy to find, which makes people think you have
not read, and are not reading the available information. This may very
well be the wrong impression, it is however the impression you are giving.

For myself I can say that I have asked myself about every question you
came up with, and answered all of them myself by reading existing code and
the archives, and esp. by trying things out.
On the way I had to spend some time to get to know how things are done on
DGD in general, and that also showed to be the biggest obstacle, most of
the archives make a lot of sense only if you know 'how to think' for this
environment.

I bet that you will find people being much more willign to answer if you
clearly show that you tried to find the answer first before asking for
their time to look at it.

Also, with all respect, if you do not manage a much higher degree of
'figuring it out yourself', I seriously wonder about you finishing a
mudlib from scratch becuase it will be full of things that will require
you to look into them, research them, experiment, and eventually, discuss.

> >Don't get me wrong. None of this is really a big deal. I've answered many
> >of your questions and was pretty happy doing so. I think you've learned
> >quite a bit quite quickly. If you're getting flak on the list, you could
> >say it's because people here have an unusual allergy to a specific kind of
> >self-indulgent arrogance.
>
> I don't know what you mean.

I think he may be refering to the 'I am going to write a lib from scratch
and I don't need your kernel, just your time for all my questions' attitude

I started on a similar project in august last year, and if I recall
correctly, the first time I posted on here was due to some confusion about
a feature/bug and with an offer to post a fix for the supposed bug also
(turned out to be a feature afterall, but one I dont like)

That is not to say that I'm too good to need any help, but that all
information I needed so far was simply out there, and I learned a lot more
from investigating and experimenting then I'd ever have learned from
getting pre-chewed answers.

> >You might be right. But the end result is the same. You're running out of
> >answerers.
>
> You've lost me.

If people get annoyed they'll stop answering and you are stuck with the
archives, this time without anyone to explain them to you.

> >That's why it's good advice.
> >
> >>Maybe you will convince me to restrain my posting, if you have a valid
> >>argument as to why I should. The only way I will stop otherwise is if
> >>someone declares that it is against the rules to post the way I am doing.
> >>Nobody has, and I don't think I should based on my aforementioned
> >>argument, so its down to somebody to convince me to stop or to order me to
> >>stop (if they are in a position to do that).
> >
> >If you think all you have to worry about in life is whether you're inside
> >or outside the rules, you're in for a very rude shock.
>
> I don't think that, but I think it is relevent here.

I think that the only person on this list who can tell you to go somewhere
else (Felix), already kindly told you to go read the archives instead of
asking things that are repeatedly answered in them.. I'd take the hint really.

The only thing that is relevant here is that we help with keeping this
list usable and a nice experience to read and ask questions on. I believe
that neither you, nor the people who are overly strong in their responses
to you, are being very helpfull for that. Why should the rule be relevant?
the purpose for which the rule exists is relevant, not the rule itself.

Anyway, you wanted a reason for restraining your posting, well, I am only
going to spend so much time on reading and answering here, and I assume
that that is true for everyone.

It is your choice if you waste that time on things you can find out
yourself easily or not, but if you do so, you wont have that resource
available for things that you cannot easily answer yourself with some
research.

Bart