[DGD] A question about object pointers

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jan 13 00:28:18 CET 2004

"Robert Forshaw" <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd first like to say that I've tried to test this with the kernel lib using
> the 'code' command it would not work. It simply said I could not clone the
> object. Anyway, I'm confused as to whether an object pointer still holds its
> value after an object is destructed. In other words:
>
> object o;
> o = clone_object("/dummy.c");
> destruct_object(o);
> if(o) say("Object still points to something, even though it isn't
> there.\n");
> if(o == nil) say("Object doesn't point to anything.\n");

Object pointers become nil when the object has been destroyed.

Also, for reference, here is how you try out a simple multiple-line
LPC program in the kernel library (which you have created in advance):

    > compile /dummy.c
    $0 = </dummy>
    > clone $0
    $1 = </dummy#123>
    > destruct $1
    > code $1
    $2 = nil

The probable reason this didn't work for you is that the kernel lib
requires you to compile something before it can be cloned.