[DGD] DGD Newbie

Antony Riley antony at flamefew.net
Thu Jan 15 07:31:23 CET 2004

(I hear sighs of omg, not another one)

I'm going to write a mudlib / mud with DGD, my question is where is the
best starting point, given my requirements:

1) Always use a binary port, get rid of the telnet port completely, write
telnet negotiation handling in the lib.
2) Allow outbound TCP connection from the mud for connectivity with other
applications. (and in lib ftp server, and other security nightmares).

The NET package only seems to apply against 1.1 DGD ?
I'd much rather use the experimental version which allows multiple telnet
or binary ports ? (I'm sure I read that somewhere).

I would really like to use the experimental branch, though this would mean
taking the current NET package and patching manualy and well my C isn't up
to that I don't think ;)

I'd rather not stray from the experimental version if I use it though,
because if I do, I will be unable to apply further patches :(

Oh, congrats to whoevers bright idea it was to allow strings to contain
\0, this actually makes in-lib telnet negotiation possible. (hence using
the binary port)

Advice ?

I'll probably be starting off with the kernel lib as a base, phantasmal
looks great, but isn't quite what I want, though I'm sure I could use
bits from it.

I'm sure there are some resources I've probably missed on DGD so far, the
phantasmal website has been by far the most helpful so far (thanks
whoever, can't seem to find your name anywhere on your website!).

-Antony