[DGD] Alternatives to the Kernel model of security...

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Jan 28 14:05:24 CET 2004

Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   The Kernel Library, while it's a very powerful and
> useful bit of software, is undeniably hard to use in
> certain cases.  I don't mean it's technically
> incapable.  I mean that its security model is
> unfamiliar to essentially everyone, and that common
> forms of security are difficult to map onto its
> interace.

I'll explain a little about how the kernel library's security model
came to be.

Before I started working on DGD, I spent a lot of time trying to
circumvent the security of various mudlibs.  When I started, all LPmuds
used a variety of 2.4.5 mudlib, and eventually I developed a routine
to go from newbie player to archwizard in about 15 minutes (including
removing evidence from the logfiles). :)

The basic idea of LPmud 2.4.5's security was simple: wizards can only
edit files in their own directory, in /open and in directories where
they have explicitly been granted access, archwizards can edit files
everywhere except in /room and /obj.  The implementation was full of
holes.

A new security model was developed for the CD mudlib.  The main change
was that security became object-based, instead of player-based.  This
introduced the wiztool problem: when wizard A cloned a wiztool made
by wizard B, that wiztool could not access files in the directory of
wizard A.  To solve this, there had to be a way for wizard A to grant
his cloned wiztool permission to access files in his own directory.

This was managed with the uid (user ID) security system, partially
implemented in the server and partially in the mudlib.  The uid
system was a disaster, for various reasons:

 - the design was based on the Unix suid (set user ID) system, which
   is notoriously bad
 - the implementation was so complex that problably only Genesis
   archwizard Commander understood it, but a number of others were
   nevertheless making changes to it, and the system became less and
   less secure with each new mudlib release
 - overall security was affected by a huge number of source files,
   all of which had to be in tune with eachother
 - The 3.1.2 LPmud server, with builtin uid support, was used as the
   basis for the MudOS server, for which new mudlibs were developed
   which tried to make a different use of the existing uid support
   in the server, and which all failed miserably.

I have broken uid security so many times that eventually, the
archwizards of Genesis simply stopped fixing the bugs that I
reported to them.

Then came what came to be known as the "stack-based" security system,
which was an enormous improvement.  This is the system that is still
used for the Lima mudlib today.  Though I managed to break it on one
occasion, I never found a fundamental flaw in it.  I do have some
reservations.

Stack-based security does not depend on the current player (as in
2.4.5), or the permissions of the current object (as in CDlib), but
on the intersection of the permissions of all objects in the call
chain.  Each object has the option of "resetting" security before
performing a sensitive operation, with the effect that this operation
will be performed with only the permissions of the current object
taken into account.

The problem of stack-based security is that there are many objects
which you want to be transparent with regard to security, i.e. you
want them to be able to appear in the call chain without affecting
the combined permissions.  Unfortunately, the only way to accomplish
this is to give the "transparent" object maximum permissions.  In the
Lima mudlib today, there is a large set of "transparent" objects, all
of which are innocuous in function, and dangerous in potential.
Finding a security problem now involves finding a badly-made
"transparent" object.

For the kernel library, I wanted a security model with the following
additional properties:

 - the set of objects that require maximum permissions would be very
   small
 - a breach of one programmer's security does not affect the security
   of the remainder of the system, regardless of that programmer's
   permissions

In the kernel library, only the kernel objects that define the
security model itself have maximum permissions.  System objects have
almost maximum permissions; the one thing they cannot do is change the
security model.  The set of System objects can be small (I have less
than 20 in my own mudlib).

To meet the second requirement, I separated the permissions granted to
a programmer, and to that programmer's objects.  After making this
separation, I decided that stack-based security would now be needlessly
restrictive.