[DGD] Alternatives to the Kernel model of security...

Josh Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Wed Jan 28 20:37:36 CET 2004

On Jan 28, 2004, at 1:34 PM, Noah Gibbs wrote:

>   Similarly, if mounting a WebDAV filesystem on
> Windows is as "easy" as installing a network printer,
> that's fine for anybody running their own MUD, and
> probably too much to expect builders to do routinely.

There are two ways to do it; here's the shorter one:
   Open IE, File->Open, paste the URL in the box, click Open as Web
Folder and OK, enter your username/password in the box.

The longer one takes you through a Wizard, so there's a lot more
clicking (names relative to XP Pro, since that's what I have handy):
   Open My Network Places, then Add Network Place, Next, "Choose another
network location", Next, paste the URL in the box, Next, enter your
username/password in the box, Enter a name for the Shortcut it creates,
Next, Finish.

The second one is still easy, a lot harder to explain, but it leaves a
shortcut to the WebDAV server in "My Network Places" which the next
time you can just double-click on (subject to the Windows
username/password cache, naturally).

--
Joshua P. Dady