[DGD] Re: Alternatives to the Kernel model of security...

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 21:51:46 CET 2004

--- Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net> wrote:
> The 'cadaver' client, which Dworkin has already
> mentioned, is what you
> should compare FTP against.

  Only if you can get editors (I'm thinking vi and
emacs) to edit using it.  You can do that with FTP.

  But more to the point, I'm saying that having the
target users install a filesystem on Linux isn't
really an option.  A WebDAV filesystem was one
suggested solution to the problem of having
builders/admins use existing editors remotely on LPC
source files and DGD data files.  You're right that
it's no easier for any non-WebDAV filesystem, but
that's not really the point.  A solution that doesn't
involve installing *any* new filesystem on Linux would
be necessary.

  Or, y'know, we could declare that a custom client is
a requirement for having less-technical users do file
editing.  That would still make it annoying to use
existing file editors.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com