[DGD] Broken Pipe? yee gads

Michael McKiel crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 30 17:40:15 CET 2004

Ok...so we figured to upgrade Melville to support
"typechecking 2"...after figuring out how to get the
compile errors to screen (send_message!! instead of
write_file) were actually able to track down the
errors, and no you can't ask how long figuring out
send_message took ;) since we had disabled most all
those since my compatriot uses a cron'd startup
routine and redirects everything to dev/null fun fun
fun.

Anyways...we are bug free and actually compiled...
But whenever we attempt to telnet into the mud we get
a "broken pipe". So I broke out GDB and loaded up DGD
set a breakpoint on "open" and "write"
And we get ...
#0  0x400ef5c0 in write () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#1  0x080af1ac in ipa_new ()
Cannot access memory at address 0xff
(gdb) cont
Continuing.

Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
0x400ef5e8 in write () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x400ef5e8 in write () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#1  0x08116138 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0xff

Would this be cuz Melville doesn't set a telnet
manager? and if so...why would upping the type
checking do this? *grumble* IF we put #define nul 0
into std.h and turn the typechecking down to 0/1,
everything is fine. So what be the consensus on this?