[DGD] getting started with DGD

Jeff Moore jeff at procata.com
Sat Mar 13 05:57:35 CET 2004

Hello,

Its been about 8 years since I've done anything in LPC.  I just ran
across DGD the other day and it looked interesting so I started playing
around with it.

I've taken a look a the mudlibs available and started playing around
with the kernel mudlib.

I was re-organizing user.c and found that I was getting a seg fault
when executing the line:

connect(previous_object());

It seems the error occurred after I arranged things so that
previous_object() wasn't the connection any more.  I think I was doing
the equivalent of:

connect(this_object());

This was not the right thing to do, but a seg fault is still probably
not a good thing.

I also have some questions about DGD that I could not find the answer
to in the various documentation.  Its probably there.  sorry if these
are FAQs.

First, I've read a little about this idea of re-compiling objects on
the fly.  To test this, I was re-compiling user.c, but I would get
various errors as if the objects that user.c inherits from were out of
sync.  I could solve the problem by inserting prototypes that would
normally be unnecessary.  In fact, if I shutdown the mud and brought it
back up, then I could take the prototypes out and everything would
compile fine.  Is the kernel mud not set up for this? Am I doing
something wrong? Is this what the objectd code that I ran across does?
If so, why is this not in the kernel?

Which function searches one string for another or find the position of
an element in an array?

Is there a way to get a slice based on the end of a string, but not
using strlen.  something like [0..<1]?

Is it possible to move the /System directory out of the USR directory
without changing the kernel?

Is it possible to listen to port 80 for an in game http server as well
as to listen for the telnet port?

How do you create functions that every object can call without an
explicit include or inherit without modifying the kernal auto object?

I guess thats it for now.  :)

thanks,
Jeff

(PS.  I'm running 1.2.84)