[DGD] getting started with DGD

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 08:52:37 CET 2004

--- Jeff Moore <jeff at procata.com> wrote:
> First, I've read a little about this idea of re-compiling
> objects on the fly.

  This is a pretty complicated topic.  Have you read my stuff on
getting started with the Kernel Lib, and specifically on inheritance?
Check out "http://phantasmal.sf.net/DGD/Kernel" and look for the
"Inheritance" link.

  ObjectD code isn't in the kernel, even though it's basically required
for real recompile-in-place, because different groups and libraries
have different purposes and policies on these things.  Since there's
more than one good, acceptable way to do it, the Kernel doesn't demand
that you do it one specific way.  If you want one particular way, you
can grab that ObjectD (mine, Geir Harald Hansen's) and use it.

> Which function searches one string for another or find
> the position of an element in an array?

  You can search one string for another using "explode" if you're
clever.  Or with parse_string.  The position of an element in an array
is just going to require you to use a for() loop.

> Is there a way to get a slice based on the end of a string, but not
> using strlen.  something like [0..<1]?

  Nope.  There's old stuff about this in the mailing list archives if
you go look.

> Is it possible to move the /System directory out of the USR
> directory
> without changing the kernel?

  Yup.  Check out /include/config.h.  In there, you'll find a way to
change what prefix to use instead of "/usr".  However, you can't change
it so that /usr/System is in a different place than the other user
directories.

> Is it possible to listen to port 80 for an in game http
> server as well
> as to listen for the telnet port?

  Yup.  You can open one or more binary ports as well as one or more
telnet ports.  The HTTPD would probably be a binary port so that people
couldn't confuse it with telnet option handling.

> How do you create functions that every object can call
> without an explicit include or inherit without modifying
> the kernal auto object?

  You can only do this for objects outside /kernel and /usr/System.
You do it by declaring a bonus second AUTO object.  This stuff is in
the mailing list archives, or you can look at how Phantasmal does it.

=====